Car accidents are one of the most common accidents in the United States. In fact, roughly 4.4 million people are sufficiently hurt in wrecks each year to require treatment. These accidents end up costing the country more than $800 billion.
If you’ve been involved in a collision, give us a call. Quinn Law Group strives to help accident victims move on from their collisions, and negotiating a fair settlement is often a necessary step. One of our car accident lawyers can schedule a time to go over your case.
Some losses are economic in nature. This means we can calculate them easily using dollars by looking at a bill or receipt.
Our clients can usually receive compensation for the following economic losses:
- Medical care. Whoever struck you should pay for all medical appointments, surgery, rehabilitation, physical therapy, prescription drugs, and transportation by ambulance. If you have permanent injuries, they should pay for future medical care, like future surgeries.
- Lost wages or self-employed income. Many clients cannot go back to work because of their injuries. You should receive money to replace this lost income.
- Property damage. Your car probably suffered some damage in the crash. Whoever hit you should pay to have it repaired or replaced.
Not all losses are economic. Instead, they are harder to translate into money:
- Physical pain. Most bodily injuries cause considerable pain. Even if you are on painkillers, you can feel a constant, dull ache. Physical pain seriously erodes a person’s quality of life and makes sleep difficult.
- Emotional distress. Emotional pain warrants compensation. You might sink into depression or suffer from post-traumatic stress disorder. Our clients often struggle with irritability, anxiety, or anger.
- Loss of enjoyment of life. Due to physical limitations, you might have to give up hobbies or spending time with your family.
- Disfigurement or disability. Permanent scars or disability exact a toll on anyone. Examples include living with visible burns or an amputation.
Calculating the amount, you can receive for these losses is harder, since you don’t have a bill or receipt to show. However, at Quinn Law, our lawyers can estimate a reasonable amount of compensation.
Factors Which Can Minimize Your Compensation
Unfortunately, not all accident victims get the compensation they deserve. There are some common limitations on their financial recovery.
For example, you might have contributed to your accident by being negligent. Imagine that you turned without using your blinker when a speeding motorist struck you. Your failure to use a turn signal contributed to the crash. Under New Jersey and Pennsylvania law, your compensation gets reduced by your percentage of fault. And if you are primarily at fault, you will receive no money.
Another limitation is the insurance policy the defendant has. Most settlements are covered by insurance. If the driver carries only minimum liability coverage, you might have uncompensated losses.
Quinn Law Group Can Help
Obtaining compensation following a car wreck is challenging. Let us get to work immediately strategizing how to bring your claim. We offer a free consultation, which you can schedule by calling or reaching out online.