Car accidents in Philadelphia can have a profound and sudden impact, causing serious personal injuries. Among the most common injuries suffered by victims is whiplash. This occurs when the head and neck experience a sudden back-and-forth motion due to a sudden stop or jolt. In this blog, our Philadelphia car accident attorney provides insights into whiplash injuries and guides you on protecting your rights when filing a claim.
Whiplash: A Common Car Accident Injury
Whiplash is a prevalent type of personal injury, affecting millions of people each year, with car accidents being a leading cause, as explained by the Cleveland Clinic. During a crash or collision, the body undergoes a sudden and violent movement. The neck acts as a shock absorber, remaining flexible to protect the head and brain.
However, this sudden and forceful motion can cause the neck to overextend, potentially impacting the vertebrae, discs, muscles, tendons, and other soft tissues in the area. This can result in a range of painful symptoms, including:
- Stiffness and limited mobility in the neck.
- Soreness or sharp pain in the immediate vicinity.
- Radiating pain to the arms, hands, or other body parts.
- Numbness in the back, shoulders, and arms.
- Painful muscle spasms.
- Inability to turn or move the head.
- Vision disturbances, dizziness, headaches, and other neurological symptoms.
While mild cases of whiplash may resolve within a few weeks, severe injuries to soft tissues or the vertebrae can lead to a longer recovery period, lasting months or even years.
Protecting Your Rights to Compensation for Whiplash Injuries in Philadelphia
Whiplash commonly occurs in rear-end collisions but can happen in any type of car accident in Philadelphia. The Mayo Clinic warns that the resulting damage can leave the cervical region of your spine vulnerable to reinjury and chronic pain, potentially impacting your ability to work and engage in daily activities. Holding negligent drivers accountable for the costs you incur due to whiplash injuries is essential. To protect your rights and seek compensation, follow these steps:
- Report the car accident promptly to the police.
- Gather the names, insurance numbers, and contact information of other drivers involved.
- Collect the contact information of witnesses and take photos of the accident scene.
- Seek immediate medical care, regardless of the severity of your symptoms.
- Follow your doctor’s instructions regarding treatment and any work or activity restrictions.
Contact Our Philadelphia Car Accident Attorney to Request a Consultation
At Quinn Law Group, we are dedicated to helping individuals who have suffered whiplash due to car accidents obtain the full compensation they need for recovery. To ensure your rights are protected when filing a claim, please call or contact our Philadelphia car accident attorney online to request a consultation. We are here to support you through the legal process.